Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Gen X Chronicles: Part Four - The West Side of the Berlin Wall


While there are many pieces of the Berlin wall more or less this size in different parts of the world, I think this six ton piece is the most beautiful one.  I was hoping to get some photos of this piece in California where it stands in the warm sun each day.  I can't think of a more monumental symbol of history from the growing-up years of Generation X than the crumbling of this wall.  So it was with enormous anticipation that I walked up to this slab of cement that includes the word "freedom" written on it.   It was with humility for what this wall symbolized that I took these photos....


The Berlin Wall: Photography by Chloe

__________________________________________________















































In the weeks before approaching this wall, I imagined what it would be like to take photos of it.  I was hoping that I could catch the sun behind it as it was descending.  Beyond that, I was hoping I could capture sunflare coming out from behind the wall, exploding in colorful hues to mirror the artful graffiti on the cement.  Everything I hoped for that day came true.

My guess is that these images came from a spray paint can held in the hands of a German Gen Xer.  I hope to someday find out who it is.  Here, in this beauty, is the artful soul of mankind that finds another way to survive, to begin again, and to create.   

Here's to hope...and to new beginnings.



________________________________________________________________________________
(c) 2013 photography and writing by Chloe - all rights reserved


No comments: