Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Vintage Travel Pennants and Memories of Magic-Glo'





I remember these old-school travel pennants on the walls of Gen Xers while I was growing up.  I don't remember kids my own age having these (second wave Xers) but I have vague memories of seeing these on the bedroom walls of their older brothers or sisters (first wave Gen Xers).    

Hanging these up on the wall could really impress your friends - you would have visual proof of how well-traveled you were and these could also lead to conversations where you could brag about all the cool places you went the previous summer...like maybe Skagway?

I saw these at a quirky Portland store that sells all kinds of very random things (notice the bowl of candy in the background and also the bowl of scissors).

This time of year my mind is illumintated with cartoon characters and vintage fonts and the Magic-Glo of the costumes of the late Octobers of my early childhood.  These images can be hard to explain to someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.  It is sort of Hanna Barbara-ish.  It is sort of Ben Cooper-ish.... 





Halloween is considered the most important holiday to Generation X.  It would be hard to have a Gen X blog and not write about Halloween....while other holidays can be full of family conflict, Halloween is simple - there aren't expectations of you and by putting on a costume you can escape reality even if for just one night. 

Happy Halloween, Xers. 


 

No comments: