Sunday, April 8, 2012

When Buds turn to Blooms (Week 45 of Fireflies at Dusk: A 52-Week Project)




In the Pacific Northwest, it can feel that spring takes a long time to come into its fullness.  While the gray sky acts as if it has forgotten how to be blue, coldness and cloudiness hang on for yet another day. But, should we choose to notice, little messages of hope are placed for us on tree branches.



When there are mostly buds and only some blooms, it takes patience to hang on until your cold, aching bones will soon be thoroughly warm again.   It takes faith to believe that those branches will ever again be covered completely in blooms.






And finally, life around us  goes from being mostly buds and only a few blooms, to being mostly blooms and only a few buds.  And this is Easter and the brightness that follows...the earth goes through a resurrection of its own and if we choose to see it, we will.





In my youngest Gen X days, I remember the sun would shine and reflect off color with an amazing resonance exactly the way it is shining on these flowers above.  In those days, I remember how the sky was blue just like this - a stronger blue above my head and a lighter blue at the horizon.  On my swing set I would swing high enough for my feet to touch the bluest blue and come back down until my feet could kick up the dust of the earth below me.  In those days there was boundless joy.  It was like Eden in that I did not yet know shame, and joy was there for the taking at every moment. That warmth and light were both enough to get me through the winters of my life - especially those that took the longest to become spring.

This is Easter and the brightness that follows...resurrection at a finite moment in history, resurrection infinitely with us in time and in the space around us, and resurrection of who we were made to be - beings full of unbounded joy.



________________________________________________________________________________
(c) 2012 photography and writing by Chloe - all rights reserved




No comments: