Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Downtown Mini-Vacation (Week 34 of Fireflies at Dusk: A 52-Week Journey)


Have you ever visited your own city?  Have you ever stopped to really enjoy it the way a tourist would? If you live in the suburb of a cool city, you might make it downtown for an event or a dinner, but what about really walking around and taking it all in?  I have spent a lot of time in the beautiful downtown of Portland, Oregon - only most of that time was spent working long hours, or rushing somewhere on lunch breaks to run errands.  When I worked downtown I used to tell myself that I should take more time to really look around more, but I was always too busy, or stressed, or distracted with making my way off a crowded rush hour train.  This was my week to get out of the suburbs for a couple of days, and to walk around and enjoy all the things there wasn't time to enjoy before.



Pioneer Square at dusk.



The sun goes down behind the West Hills. 



I always wanted to take a picture of the
Paramount Theater....




When the food carts go to sleep at night...


The hotel I booked was close to two of
the buildings I used to work in as a paralegal - the
tall black one on the right , and the smaller one behind it. 




Hawthorne Bridge under the Portland clouds.






________________________________________________________________________________
(c) 2012 photography and writing by Chloe - all rights reserved