Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Giant-Sized Lite Brite (Week 26 of Fireflies at Dusk: A 52-Week Project)





One of my best Gen X memories is playing with my Lite Brite.  I remember getting up early before Saturday morning cartoons would start while the curtains were still closed in the living room so that the room would be dark to give the light more contrast.  Plugging in the Lite Brite to let the colorful glow reflect on my face while laying on my stomach on shag carpet with a bowl of cereal in hand was a cozy way to start a morning.  We took my daughter to the Portland Children's Museum this week and they had this giant backlit board with slots for colored pegs that you could slide in and illuminate.  It was mesmerizing to me because it was exactly like my old Lite Brite, but on a larger scale.  

As part of the Fireflies at Dusk project, I have been looking for ways to pass on my history, my Gen X culture, and other parts of  who I am to my daughter.  I hope that when she is older, when she looks back on the entirety of what I strove to teach her and to pass on to her, that she will see a lot of color, a lot of hope, and a lot of light.


_________________________________________________________________________________
(c) 2011 photography and writing by Chloe - all rights reserved