Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Last Days of Summer

If I had to make a list of the symbols of Gen X 's formative years, this giant slide would definitely make the list.  I remember being at a carnival as a six years old - climbing the colossal staircase and racing down on a rectangle of burlap. 

I call these kinds of slides "Gen X slides"!

I remember standing at the top of the slide like I was on top of the world.  I refused let fear take over as I stood looking at all the faraway people below.  Instead, I chose to embrace the rush.  I think I'm in that place in life again now...

This week my family and I went to Oaks Park in Portland and it was my little one's first time to go to an amusement park.  She loved it more than I would have even expected.  Whether it was the mini roller coaster, or the kid-sized hot air balloons, she was fearless. 




There is a certain joy that comes when we don't dwell on the days of the season that have already passed us by, but when live fully in this day.  These are the last days of summer, which is a chance to drink up every last bit of it.  And there is a certain joy in those up-high places, where we can choose not to be afraid. We can choose to let the fear wash away as we embrace the rush. 


No comments: