Sunday, October 2, 2011

School House Rock and Root Beer Floats (Week 17 of Fireflies at Dusk: A 52-Week Project)



My husband went out of town for the weekend, so I promised my two-year-old a mom-and-daughter weekend-o-fun.

Itinerary for mom-and-daughter weekend:
jump on the couch 
eat whipped cream straight from the can 
sing extremely loud at will 
watch School House Rock and drink root beer floats!

Good old YouTube.  We watched a bunch of classic episodes, and every time I showed her one, she wanted another.  I didn't think she'd be that into it!

 

As I've said in a previous post, my mind sometimes turns into an old VHS player -- as in I can actually hear the tape rewinding until it stops to show me a still-image memory long forgotten.  As I've been doing the Fireflies at Dusk project, I've been seeing images and hearing sounds that I have not heard for decades.  It is a bit strange to reconnect myself with these mementos of my life.  It feels something like a pang of homesickness or that sort of grieving that you feel when the sun sets on the last night of summer before the first day of school.  When I saw the episode about the number 8, and the girl began ice-skating in a figure 8 shape, my mind went into rewind mode, and I was suddenly a little kid standing in front of a TV on shag carpet and sun was spilling into the room.  When I started this project, I did not know why I was compelled to do it.  Is it to create a scavenger hunt of finding puzzle-piece memories in my mind to put them together to form some sort of mosaic?  If so, what is the picture I'm going to see?



Your assignment for the week:
1) Sing your favorite School House Rock song in the shower as loud as you can.
2) Jump on your couch at least once when no one is looking.
3) Eat something that tastes really good - some comfort food from your Gen X childhood that makes you really happy.






(c) 2011 photo and writing by Chloe - all rights reserved

No comments: